Our first pic of the week features one of our all time favorite animal prints – Peter Dunham’s Gattopardo.
For Veranda’s concept house, Windsor Smith commissioned Peter to design a guest room and study. He chose to line the study walls in Gattopardo - the result is nothing short of spectacular.
While lining an entire room is an obviously bold choice, every home needs a touch of animal print. In the home of Joe Lucas and David Heikka, a Gattopardo lampshade mixes dazzlingly with a gorgeous lime Bunny Williams drinks table and purple tufted chairs from Harbinger.
Printed on ultra heavy linen, this stunner will steal the show. We sell Gattopardo in a 13”x26” lumbar and also a 20”, perfect for your sofa or club chair. Our oversized 20”x40” lumbar will literally transform a bedroom with a single pillow. We love pairing Gattopardo with classic, feminine prints, but it also holds its own against modern, bold colors and graphics.
Avosetta Home; $218
Peter Dunham’s signature style weaves the classical structure and European sensibility of his upbringing with casual, California elegance. When interviewed by Mark D. Sykes, Peter described his style as “Merchant Ivory Moderne”. We love seeing this style represented in textiles like Gattopardo that mingle his strong European undertones with his current laid back, Southern California lifestyle.
Credits: Veranda, Peter Dunham, MyDomaine
This last year has been busy; we started Avosetta Home and have been on the go ever since. We are super excited to usher in the New Year. That said, as we put one foot in front of the other, there are a few things that keep us going and feeling nurtured. We have each complied our Top 5.
Elisa's Top 5
1. Goldfaden MD Sun Visor SPF 30 Sunscreen. We live in LA where each year we average almost 300 days of sun. This is essential.
2. Atelier Cologne in Silver Iris.
3. Bulletproof Coffee. If you have not heard about it you will. Basically, it is a mixture of coffee and unsalted grass fed butter. I know it sounds weird but once you try it you will be a convert and there are health benefits to boot.
4. Cashmere Robe from Barney's. Super cozy to curl up on the sofa with a glass of wine.
Mila's Top 5
1. Van's. I am obsessed with being able to kick-off my shoes whenever and wherever. With a toddler this flexibility is a must as is the navy blue color.
2. Mendocino Mustard, Seeds and Suds. I love mustard. At any given time I have 15 different kinds. This is my newest favorite. I was introduced to it at a cheese tasting at Farmshop and have put it on practically everything since.
3. Left Corner Spoon. I know, random, but I am left handed and finding a spoon that works in corners has changed my life. Not sure it has changed the way my food tastes though.
4. Fleurish, Design it Yourself Flower Shop. Truth be told, I have not had the time to go yet but, I am dying to. I love arranging flowers but don't like the mess.
5. Silk Pajamas from The White Company. After a long day they just make me feel special. Especially, since my husband gets them for me every year.
Sometimes, you just have to clear your head and get out to see other things. It is very important to be nourished. I love to go to museums and galleries, I like to see theatre, film, dance - anything creative. It doesn't promise you inspiration, but it nourishes your creative soul, and that's good.
- Marc Jacobs
Who wouldn't find inspiration on the Island of Capri. With its limestone crags, crystal clear waters and vibrant pink blossoms; it is picturesque. A must visit destination. If the fabled beauty of the beaches are not enough to attract you to this idyllic island then the rugged ruins, car-free streets and eclectic mix of restaurants and chic Mediterranean shops will.
Canfora sandal shop is must see while you are there, and luckily they have an online store. This fabled boutique has been around since the 1940's. They custom make each pair of sandals by hand, a skill that has been passed down within the family since before Jackie Kennedy bought her first pair there in 1962. They come in three heel heights but we prefer the original flat sandal.
Want to share some of Capri table side? Look no further than the explosion of color at The Sea Gull a half-century old ceramics shop where everything is hand-painted.
I know what you're thinking, shopping is thirsty work. Have no fear Capri has plenty of Limoncello. This traditional drink is made from the zest of Sorrento lemons and has all the lemon flavor you love but none of the bitterness of straight lemon juice. We enjoy it served in a champagne flute with 1/3 Limoncello 2/3 Champagne. Simple and refreshing.
Check out the Capri Navy and Pink Collection that was inspired by the abundant beauty of this memorable island.
For years I coveted the Raoul Textile prints I saw on a daybed in a House Beautiful spread. The mix of blues and large scale prints had me entranced. When we set out to start Avosetta Home both of us had our must-list of designer fabrics we had to work with... luckily Raoul was on both of ours.
Sally McQuillan and her late husband, Tim, started Raoul Textiles in 1981 on the beach in Santa Barbara. Sounds pretty romantic. They started in a Quonset hut... really I am not making this up. Today they have a factory, still on the beach, where they hand-print their patterns on linen.
These hand-printed fabrics have a depth and beauty that make them timeless. Each patterns inspiration comes from different historical and cultural references but Sally's gift is making them all work in concert.
Photo of the Raoul Textiles Showroom courtesy of SB Digs
Our Corona Del Mar Blues Collection was inspired by Raoul's Sea Leaf and Tie Dye patterns... and our hope to have our office on the beach with the sea breeze in our hair.
We both love to entertain, but as life goes with work and children we're often running late and need last minute menus. Our menu requirements are that the food be tasty enough to serve repeatedly, have minimal ingredients, be quick to prepare and also be healthy. Here's one of our favorite summer menus:
CRISP WATERMELON SALAD
salt and pepper to taste
Whisk together the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, to form your vinaigrette. In a large bowl place the watermelon, feta, and cilantro micro greens. Drizzle salad with enough vinaigrette to cover, then lightly toss. Serve immediately. *adapted from Ina Garten
GRILLED GINGER FLANK STEAK
2 lbs flank steak (preferablly grass fed)Directions:
SWEET AND SPICY SLAW (serve flank steak atop the slaw)
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp rice wine
2 teaspoons ginger, minced
1/4 green scallions, chopped
5 cups sliced cabbage
Combine sugar and vinegar in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Add jalapenos and 2 teaspoons ginger. Place cabbage and 1/2 cup green onions in medium bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. *adapted from Bon Appetit, June 2008
AHHHH Summer. We love losing hours in the sun surrounded by friends and family. This is our list of Swaps to kick your home out of this past season's ho-hum and into full summer swing.
1. Pack up your heavy scented candles and room sprays in favor of something lighter with citrus notes. We love The Wave scented candle from Apotia. It blends fresh white grapefruit, mandarin and yuzu, with a hint of wood and a dash of ocean salt. Even if you aren't next to the beach this candle will help you hear the symphony of waves crashing.
Available at Barney's New York
2. Take your well-loved cashmere throw to the cleaners and break out a breezy bedfellow. Even though it is warm out, we still like to curl-up in the evening with a light blanket. We love the versatility of the Fouta. You can use it as a wrap, a throw, or even a towel. This beauty with metallic stripes and a honeycomb weave by Scents & Feel is our favorite.
Available at Taigan
3. Lighten and brighten your house with throw pillows that evoke the lazy days of summer. Our ocean inspired Tie Dye pillow using Raoul Textiles fabric is a touch of summer fun. Check out the entire Corona Del Mar collection for an eclectic layered look from multiple designers.
Available at Avosetta Home
4. Put down that glass of Pinot Noir. Time to stock up on your favorite Rosé. Sip the summer away dreaming you're in the Bahamas or the south of France... both locales practically have it on tap. We love an inexpensive Trader Joe's wine, and JL Quinson Cotes de Provence Rosé, 2011 or 2012 at $5.99 is a definite crowd and wallet pleaser.
Available at Trader Joe's
5. Wheel those heat lamps out of the way to make room for an outdoor umbrella. We love getting just a hint of color from the summer sun and having a cool oasis under an umbrella. Santa Barbara Umbrella has so many to choose from, but we adore this Double Decker. It has a keyhole valance and classic black trim.
Available at Santa Barbara Umbrella
Full hearts... Elisa and I have them. Full glass...we turned to an expert, Joe Brooke.
Joe is a master bartender and all-around fabulous guy who's kind of a big deal in the cocktail world... most recently making the signature cocktails for the Governor's Ball at the Academy Awards. Google him and see what I mean.
We tasted several drinks (it was tough) with Joe, as he educated us on flavor profiles and glassware. Suitable for any party this cocktail is the the perfect combination of lightness, brightness and a bit of ol' Kentucky kick. Cheers!
Bubbles, Champagne or ProseccoDirections:
Shake Bourbon, honey syrup, lemon juice and bitters over ice gently. Strain into either saucer or flute glass top with bubbles. Garnish with a lemon twist.